Header Ads Widget

British vs. American Vocabulary for Education


Learn the differences between British vs. American Vocabulary for Education in English.

The apparent difference between the British and American education systems is the time frame of college attendance. UK students only attend three years in universities for a bachelor’s degree, while US universities require four years of attendance. The education system of the UK is much more focused, specialized, and have stricter rules on uniform. In the United States, however, most schools do not have a uniform. According to experts, the consistent wearing of uniforms creates discipline and promotes unity.

When it comes to tuition fees, higher education in the UK is remarkably less expensive, but of course, England and Wales are an exception. The grading system is another difference between these two educational systems. In the United Kingdom, assessments are shown on the scale of grading from A to G, while the grading point average is the system used in the United States. Grading Point Average or GPA is a more straightforward grading system, and UK institutions are now working to establish it in the UK.

British vs. American Vocabulary for Education

A Mark —–<>—–  A grade, Point

(Academic) Staff —–<>—– Faculty

Autumn Term —–<>—– Fall Semester

College High School —–<>—– High School

Exam —–<>—– Test

Professor —–<>—– Full Professor 

Full Stop —–<>—– Period

Headmaster —–<>—– Principal

Holiday —–<>—– Vacation

Maths —–<>—– Math

Module —–<>—– Class

Open Day/ Evening —–<>—– Open House

Packed Lunch —–<>—– Sach, Bag Lunch

Play, Break Time —–<>—– Recess

Plimsolls —–<>—– Gym Shoes

Primary School —–<>—– Elementary School

Reception Year —–<>—– Pre-Kindergarten

Rubber —–<>—– Eraser

School Dinner —–<>—– Hot Lunch

Spring Term —–<>—– Spring Semester

Staff Room —–<>—– Teacher’s Lounge

Zed —–<>—– Zee

British vs. American Vocabulary for Education | Picture

British vs. American Vocabulary for Education

Post a Comment